Want to find out more? — Get in touch!


Engineering design and draughting produce designs and drawings for structures, piping, electrical systems, control and instrumentation systems and mechanical components used in industrial and commercial construction. 

The jobholder must: Understand technical drawings and specifications and be able to create their own; identify factors likely to affect design decisions; produce CAD (computer aided design) models and engineering drawings and; be able to communicate design information to internal and external parties. 

There are five main disciplines within the occupation of Engineering Design and Draughtsperson. An apprentice gains an understanding across all these disciplines and will typically specialise in one or more: 

  • Electrical Design and Draughtsperson 
  • Control and Instrumentation Design and Draughtsperson 
  • Mechanical Design and Draughtsperson 
  • Piping Design and Draughtsperson 
  • Structural Design and Draughtsperson 

Additional information

Skills & knowledge the apprentice will develop

The apprentice will be trained in aspects o disciplines such as principles of design, identify and analyse design options and selecting the appropriate design, types of drawings and specifications, characteristics of materials, producing drawings using appropriate computer aided design packages such as AutoCAD, Revit and/or Tekla and abbreviations and symbols used in design and draughting.

How will I learn & what qualifications will I gain?

  • Design and Draughting Skills, Knowledge & Behaviours – delivered in the workplace
  • Level 3 BTEC in Construction and the Built Environment – Day Release or Remote Delivery
  • Specialist Training Programme Blocks of your choice 
  • End Point Assessment – Knowledge Test, Practical Test and Presentation/Interview

Duration of the Apprenticeship

30 months

Start Date:
Anytime – Roll on, roll off

Professional Recognition and Career Progression

This standard has been designed to meet the professional standards of the Engineering Council for registration as an Engineering Technician (EngTech) in partnership with the appropriate institutions as shown below:

  • Institution of Mechanical Engineers (IMechE) (for piping and mechanical)
  • Institution of Structural Engineers (IStructE)
  • Institution of Engineering and Technology (IET) (for electrical and mechanical)
  • Institution of Engineering Designers (IED)

Professional registration is subject to candidates successfully completing this apprenticeship and undergoing professional review.

How much will it cost and incentives

The full cost of this apprenticeship is £24,000.

Levy Paying Employers: Full amount will be covered via your contributions into the account.

Non-Levy Paying Employers: You pay just 5% towards the cost of training and assessing an apprentice with the Government will funding the remaining 95%

If you employ fewer than 50 employees, the government will pay 100% of the apprenticeship training costs up to the funding band maximum for apprentices aged:

  • 16 to 18
  • 19 to 24 with an education, health and care plan provided by their local authority or has been in the care of their local authority

Incentive payments for hiring a new apprentice

Employers can apply for a payment of £3,000 for new apprentices of any age who have an employment start date of 1 October 2021 to 31 January 2022. These apprentices must also have an apprenticeship start date of 1 October 2021 to 31 March 2022.

Applications close 15 May 2022.

Entry Requirements

5 GCSEs at grade A-C/4-9 including English & Maths

We have much planned for the future, working with great clients and continued development. Keep checking back for more details.

Copyright © 2021 T3 Training

Powered by The Marketing Hub Limited 

Privacy Policy        Terms

Environmental Policy

Product Enquiry