Want to find out more? — Get in touch!


The broad purpose of the occupation is to construct the steel reinforcement which forms a vital part of any concrete structure. A steel fixer constructs reinforcement for columns, beams, walls and floors no matter how big or small the construction project is.

In their daily work, an employee in this occupation interacts with other trades such as formwork carpenters, groundworkers, scaffolders as well as supervisors, site management, architects, designers, contractors and customers. The working environment is often outdoors on a construction site and can be physically demanding. Steel Fixers often work at height such as on high rise buildings and therefore health and safety is of paramount importance. An employee in this occupation will be responsible for working in a team, under supervision, using machinery and tools to create structures or components from the designs, digital model, plans and specifications of architects and designers that meet the client’s expectations. They construct the reinforcement structures by using steel wire to tie together various diameters of steel reinforcement bar or mesh matts, that will need to be cut to length, bent to shape and fixed together in order to complete a building's reinforced concrete structures. It is necessary to construct the steel reinforcement structures from the building's foundation to the highest point of the building/concrete structure. Steel fixers create the skeleton of a structure, constructing the steel reinforcement for ground beams, columns, floors, walls and slabs to which concrete is added to create the solid structure. Steel fixers cut and bend steel to form the structures as well as working with pre-manufactured and pre-fabricated elements. Components can be constructed in situ on a construction site where they are needed or constructed elsewhere, moved into position and tied into place. It is important that steel fixers work in a safe and accurate manner in order to complete the construction of the structure in accordance with the requirement set

Additional information

Skills & knowledge the apprentice will develop

  • Health & Safety  
  • Read, interpret and comply with information from BIM Models, drawings and specifications.  
  • Shape and assemble different types of reinforcing bars including coupling and fixing.  
  • The methods of installing prefabricated and manufactured elements.  
  • How to install reinforcing steel in-situ.  
  • Offsite construction, transportation, storage and assembly. 

How will I learn & what qualifications will I gain?

 Additional Added Value Training for Steel Fixers:  

  • Basic Model Authoring & RC Detailing (using Tekla Structures)  •Basic Reinforcement Scheduling  
  • Basic BIM Hardware training 

Duration of the Apprenticeship

15 months

Start Date:
Anytime – Roll on, roll off

Professional Recognition and Career Progression

Career progression could include:

  • Design & Draughtsperson  
  • Digital Engineer
  • Civil Engineer
  • Construction Site Engineer

How much will it cost and incentives

The full cost of this apprenticeship is £15,000.

Levy Paying Employers: Full amount will be covered via your contributions into the account.

Non-Levy Paying Employers: You pay just 5% towards the cost of the apprenticeship with the Government will funding the remaining 95%. Therefore, the maximum cost incurred would be £750 (Payment Plans are available).

If you employ fewer than 50 employees, the government will pay 100% of the apprenticeship training costs up to the funding band maximum and pay a grant of £1000 for apprentices aged:

  • 16 to 18
  • 19 to 24 with an education, health and care plan provided by their local authority or has been in the care of their local authority

Incentive payments for hiring a new apprentice

Employers can apply for a payment of £3,000 for new apprentices of any age who have an employment start date of 1 October 2021 to 31 January 2022. These apprentices must also have an apprenticeship start date of 1 October 2021 to 31 March 2022.

Applications close 15 May 2022.

Entry Requirements

5 GCSEs at grade A-C/4-9 including English & Maths

We have much planned for the future, working with great clients and continued development. Keep checking back for more details.

Copyright © 2021 T3 Training

Powered by The Marketing Hub Limited 

Privacy Policy        Terms

Environmental Policy

Product Enquiry